Popular Posts

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Same sex marriage and political choices


A reader wrote to me recently asking “As a professing 'Christian' you ought to be ashamed of yourself. Defending Obama, Really? What kind of Christian defends the Same Sex Marriage President?”

Without boring you with the details of my own views about gay marriage, I just want to say that I don’t see how even those who are sure that same sex marriage is against God’s will can feel like our political choices should be determined by this one issue when the president and CEO of Focus on the Family is saying this:

"We're losing on that one, especially among the 20- and 30-somethings: 65 to 70 percent of them favor same-sex marriage. I don't know if that's going to change with a little more age—demographers would say probably not. We've probably lost that," - Jim Daly, president and CEO of Focus on the Family.

In other words, even if I accept the over the top description of Obama as the “same sex marriage president” (which I don't), and I allow a narrow understanding of what a Christian must believe about same sex marriage (which I don't), why would I have to allow my political choices to be determined by an issue that even a conservative culture warrior believes is “probably lost”, not because of Obama’s decision to have the Justice Department stop arguing for the Defense of Marriage Act but because of broad cultural and demographic changes beyond the scope of national politics to dent?

No comments:

Post a Comment